CENTRAL INSTITUTE OF PLASTICS ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY, Chennai is an govt. institute and headquarter of all CIPET institute in India. It is established in year 1986 with the assistance of UNDP. It is managed under the department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals, Ministery of Chemicals and Fertilizers, India.
- It is believed that CIPET is founded by Brigadier A.F. Eugene, who is also founder of MES
- CIPET Chennai is affiliated to Anna University Chennai.
- AICTE approval for M.Tech, B.Tech, Post Diploma and diploma courses
- It is recognized by various Govt. Organizations like DST, DRDO and ISRO to carry research and development projects.
- Admissions to diploma and post diploma courses are done on CIPET-JEE.